Name and surname: Gustáv Murín
In Slovak Center of the PEN International:
President (2000-2002, 2002-2004, 2009-2011)
Honorary President (2011...)
Chair of Translation & Linguistic Rights Committee (2006)
Chair of WiPC (1993-2004)
Member 1993 – 2012
Member of PEN Centre San Miguel del Allende: 2012 – 2016
In the PEN International:
Member of Searching Committee (2000 – 2002)
As a chair of Writers in Prison Committee of Slovak Centre of PEN International I contributed to the release from prison of writers from:
Vietnam: Prof. Doan Viet Hoat, Dr. Nguyen Dan Que, Nguyen Van Thuan, Nguyen Xuan Tu,
Pham Duc Kham,
Syria: Nizar Nayyuf and Khalil Buyarez,
China: Li Xiaohua and Wei Jingsheng,
Cuba: Pablo Reyes Martinez
and Turkey: Eşber Yağmurdereli.
+ main organizer of public Christmas card 2001 campaign “Spark of the hope” aimed to collect signs from Slovak citizens for release from prison of SC PEN honorary members from Vietnam.
Activities for young PEN members:
* Main organizer of Conference of young writers of Central and Eastern Europe (Budmerice,
* Editor of almanac of young PEN authors of Central and East Europe “Central Europe - Now!”, 1995 (Copies available abroad: Cambridge University, Library of Congress, New York Public Library, University of Oklahoma etc.).
* Reporteur of PEN membership of young writers (Regional PEN conference, Latvija, 1998).
* Chair of round-table Young PEN (PEN congress, Macedonia, 2002).
* Main organizer of UNESCO/PEN conference „Young PEN for the equalization of the creative
environment throughout Europe” (European PEN conference, Budmerice, 2003).
Organizer of global, international and regional PEN activities:
* Establisher of Global PEN Library (2001): till today up to 3000 books from 53 countries with visits of 48 PEN guests from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Japan, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Serbia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Sweden, Switzerland and USA. Donation of books were coordinated with following PEN Centres: American, Austrian, Bulgarian, Czech, Cypriot, Finnish, Hungarian, Japanese, Macedonian, Palestinian, Polish, Portugal, Romanian, Scottish, Slovenian, Swedish, Swiss-Italian and Reto-Romansh, Swiss-German and Vietnam PEN Centre in exile.
* Main organizer of Visegrad literary forums (Budmerice; 2002, 2003).
* Main organizer of Global PEN Library round-tables “Writer and power” + “Library as the last
stronghold of literature?” (Bratislava/Budmerice, 2004).
* Leading delegations of SC PEN to Canada (2010), Croatia (2011) and Hungary (2011) with
donations of books for Slovak countrymen.
Editor of a book “Global PEN Library” (2004).
Active participation at PEN congresses and conferences
1993: Ohrid (Macedonia)
1994: Budmerice (Slovakia)
1995: Prague (congress, Czech Republic)
1996: Elsinor (Denmark/WiPC), Bled (Slovenia), Minsk (Belarus/WiPC), Guadalajara
1997: Edinburgh (Scotland, congress)
1998: Riga (Latvija, congress), Chichester (England/WiPC), Nicosia (Cyprus)
1999: Warszawa (Poland congress)
2000: Kathmandu (Nepal/WiPC), Moscow (Russia, congress), Sarajevo (Bosnia and
2001: London (England, congress)
2002: Ohrid (Macedonia, congress), Bratislava/Budmerice (Slovakia)
2003: Yerevan (Armenia), Budmerice + Bratislava/Budmerice (Slovakia), Mexico
City (Mexico, congress)
2004: Prague (Czech Republic), Nicosia (Cyprus), Bratislava/Budmerice (Slovakia), Tállya
(Hungary), Tromső (Norway, congress), Paris-Bruxelles (France)
2005: Litoměřice (Czech Republic)
2006: Bled (Slovenia), Beograd (Serbia), Ljubljana (Slovenia)
2009: Linz (Austria, congress)
2010: Bled (Slovenia), Bratislava/Budmerice (Global PEN Library), Tokyo (Japan, congress)
2011: Girona (Spain), Beograd (Serbia, congress)
2013: Bled (Slovenia), Reykjavik (Island, congress)
2014: Bled (Slovenia), Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan, congress)
More information in:
* Who’s who in the world (Marquis, USA, since 1997)
* Dictionary of international biography (Cambridge, U.K., since 1998)
* International Who’s Who of Contemporary Achievement (American Biographical Institute, since 1998)
* The International Who’s Who (Routledge, U.K., 2007)
* Album der Slowakischen Schriftsteller (Centre for Information on Literature, 2002)
* Album of Slovak Writers (Centre for Information on Literature, 2003)
* The International Who's Who of Authors and Writers (Routledge, U.K., 2015)
+ in three other international and thirteen national publications
* web-sites: sk.wikipedia.org, cs.wikipedia.org, artistswithoutfrontiers.com, litcentrum.sk, diversity.org.mk, LaLupe.com, amazon.fr etc..